What you need to know about Postpartum Doula Training
Our Doula School Postpartum Doula Training program is 24+ hours of in class (virtual) learning. Our DONA International approved training is the first step on your journey to supporting families as a certified Postpartum Doula.
This interactive and live training will equip you with tools to empower and support families throughout their pregnancies and labor which we believe is very needed in this world. Covering a variety of topics, from the importance of bonding, breastfeeding, emotional support, and a whole lot more – we feel that it’s the most comprehensive doula training available.
This training is recommended for
Goals of this course
- Understanding the role of the postpartum doula.
- Study how pregnancy and birth influence the postpartum period.
- Learn the importance of bonding.
- Understand newborn characteristics and infant care.
- Study the dynamics of family and friends after birth.
- Differentiate ”Baby Blues” from Perinatal Mental Health.
- Learn how to deal with loss and grief.
- Study household management.
- Understand breastfeeding basics
- Review DONA International standards
- Improve communication skills
- Learn the business basics of running a doula business
- Study the certification process
Career as a Doula: How much will I make?
- Postpartum Doula is a growing field, with a high community need
- Hourly rate for overnight support can range from $30 to $50
- Low overhead or recurring costs as a doula
What is the Certification Process?
We support you on every step of the DONA certification process, which includes:
- Completing Required Reading
- Joining DONA International as a member
- Supporting clients and getting evaluations
- Submitting a resource list
- Attending a Breastfeeding Class (which we offer at no additional fee)
What a wonderful training! I feel SO inspired to support others. I always knew it's what I wanted to do but felt intimidated. Did I have enough knowledge and experience to do it? Kathrin reassured me and I already have my first client booked. I can't wait!
Meet your trainer – Kathrin Auger
Recipient of the Postpartum Doula of the Year Award in 2007 and Doula Mentor of the Year Award in 2010 from the Doulas Association of Southern California, Kathrin Auger completed her training as a Registered Nurse in Switzerland in 1997. She worked on the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the internationally renowned Inselspital university hospital in Switzerland from 1997 – 2002. During her five years on the NICU the hospital offered continued education in infant handling, infant massage, infant wearing, reflexology, kinesthesia (conscious handling of the newborn), adult and infant CPR, lactation (breast and bottle), homeopathy, and bachflower essences which broaden Kathrin’s knowledge tremendously. Her work there also included the supervision of pediatric nurses and midwife interns.
Her years of conventional medical training fed her desire to step outside the typical medical model and go deeper into more personal care during pregnancy and the birth and postpartum period. After her move to the United States in 2002 Kathrin Auger got certified as a birth doula in 2003 and as a postpartum doula in 2004 through DONA International. She has been working as a doula ever since, committed to helping parents have an easy transition into parenthood and to support them with informed decision – making.
Investment - Tuition
Register early and save an additional discount. Payment plans always available.
About DONA International
DONA International is the world’s first, largest and leading doula certifying organization. Founded in 1992, DONA professionalized the role of the doula. Since then, they have certified more than 12,000 DONA International doulas in more than 50 countries!
DONA International’s primary function is to provide excellent doula education and certification to a diverse population of doulas world-wide. DONA International promotes the highest quality perinatal support for birthing mothers and their families by setting the standard for doula education and training, and by advocating the research-based benefits of doula care.
Full cancellation available within 24 hours of booking. Refunds are available 30 days or more before workshop start date minus a $40 handling fee. No refunds will be made within 30 days of the workshop, however registrants may apply the fee towards a future workshop held by Doula School. Cancellations within one week of class must pay a $50 administration fee to rebook and apply fee towards another workshop. NO EXCEPTIONS.