3 HOUR LIVE TRAINING
TENS Device Training
- Evidence on TENS use in labour
- How to PROPERLY use TENS machines as a birth doula
- Approved for 2.5 Contact Hours with DONA International
Are you looking to add more tools and options to your growing birth business?
"How do I know what to focus on?"
When working with doulas and birth workers we always recommend that they invest in
themselves. You can never go wrong by adding a new skill, or new certification.
As the birth and doula world continues to evolve, the more tools in your toolbox, the more
you’ll be able to effectively attract and serve clients.
The question is where do you start? With so many different paths, certifications, and trainings available, it can sometimes feel overwhelming when looking at continuing education options.
You need to consider…
What will help MOST of my existing clients on their journey?
What skills can I add that will help me grow my business in the future?
What I am I interested in learning more about?
TENS has been shown to be effective at reducing length of labour and increasing birth satisfaction.
- TENS machines have been shown to help reduce pain in labour and are a useful tool for doulas to have in their labour goodie bag. But how do you know you’re using it correctly? How do you know when and how to safely use it? Our three-hour session will explore this and more!
- Our TENS for Doulas Training dives deep into the evidence behind TENS for labour, how to use a TENS machine with clients and how it can become an important tool in your doula bag. It’s a three-hour session that will leave you feeling informed and confident. As an added bonus, TENS training is worth 2.5 contact hours (sometimes called Continuing Education Hours) through DONA International.
What exactly is a TENS unit anyway?
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is a method of pain relief involving the use of a mild electrical current. A TENS machine is a small, battery-operated device that has leads connected to sticky pads called electrodes.
- You attach the pads directly to your skin. When the machine is switched on, small electrical impulses are delivered to the affected area of your body, which you feel as a tingling or pulsing sensation. The electrical impulses can reduce the pain signals traveling to the brain, which may help relieve pain and relax muscles.
How does TENS help my clients?
● The secret to a TENS is the Gate Control Theory. It states that: The severity of pain one feels depends on the balance between painful and non-painful or pleasant stimuli that reach one’s consciousness.
● Pain awareness can be reduced by closing the “gate” to pain (increasing non-painful or pleasant stimuli; reducing painful stimuli; distraction or refocusing).
"Competition of Stimuli"
-Gate Control Theory
If you've been working as a doula, you know clients need options when progressing through labour and birth.
Study with a leading Doula institution
- When you are being introduced to TENS use you know you’re learning at an institution that is at the leading edge of doula and birth work.
- Founded in 2010, Doula School has been committed to growing the doula profession. With more than 1300 alumni across 15 countries, we are always striving to reach more students from all corners of the globe. By moving to a combination of in-person and virtual classes, we have been able to connect with students wherever they are.
- This course is approved for 2.5 Contact Hours with DONA International and accepted by all major credentialing organizations in the birth world.
- I’m looking forward to helping you on your journey.
– Stefanie Antunes
This TENS Training is Recommended for
This class is great for a variety of students. Whether you are new to birth work, or an experienced doula, you can benefit from having a TENS machine.
who have experience with TENS machines but are looking for a refresher
looking to expand their services and offer TENS machine use.
Nurses, Midwives, Prenatal Yoga Instructors
interested in expanding their knowledge to teach about TENS.
Meet Your Trainer
Stefanie Antunes has been a Lamaze® Educator and doula since 2002, after the birth of her second son showed her just how valuable it is to be prepared for birth and to have good support around you.
Stefanie is a visionary in the childbirth field. She leads the Discover Birth organization providing a variety of services to expectant parents and training for those wishing to pursue work in the childbirth field. Stefanie is a board member with the Association of Ontario Doulas, former board member for DONA International, and sits on many local boards and coalitions to improve our communities. She is a DONA-approved Birth Doula Trainer, runs an Approved Program for Lamaze International and runs two doula agencies Discover Birth and The Nesting Place.
Stefanie is the founder of The Birth Doula Program in the Greater Toronto
"What if I don’t have a TENS Machine?"
That's ok! We can help
Where to order your TENS Machine
We know that you may not have experience using a TENS machine and that’s ok.
Acquiring a TENS Machine
● To join us virtually you MUST possess your own TENS unit and have another human to practice on. We recommend you purchase a TENS machine made specifically for labour. If you’d like some help and advice to help you decide please feel free to reach out to us. You are welcome to purchase and have ANY TENS unit.
● Our team is always available to help point you in the right direction. Just send us a message and we’ll work with you on the process. Make sure to order early so your machine arrives before class!
● And don’t forget to book another human to practice on!
Full cancellation available within 24 hours of booking. Refunds are available 30 days or more
before workshop start date minus a $20 handling fee. No refunds will be made within 30 days of
the workshop, however registrants may apply the fee towards a future workshop held by Doula
School. NO EXCEPTIONS.
When starting out I didn’t have that many items in my doula bag. I knew that eventually I’d want to offer more services and options to my clients.
I was many years into my doula career before a training came to my town and I was FINALLY able to try out TENS units. The course was super fun and informative and I couldn’t WAIT to try it out.
I thought it would be a nice-to-have item but my clients ended up LOVING it!
It was especially great that I was able to use it on two doulas having 2 nd and 4 th babies, so people who had experienced labour before without TENS. They said it made a really big difference for them and I was SOLD. I gained more experience so I’d be able to train other doulas and spread this info and skill far and wide. I’m glad you’re considering joining us!
Step-By-Step TENS Training
This training will leave you feeling comfortable with the TENS Machine. You'll get hands on experience using the machine and explaining its benefits to clients. The goals of the class are:
- Explain what is a TENS machine and how it feels.
- Describe how TENS provides relief in labour.
- Explain the benefits of TENS in labour.
- List reasons not to use a TENS.
- Feel confident in using the units with clients.
- Explain the importance of proper cleaning and maintenance.
- Explain how a doula can use TENS with clients while staying in scope
By the end of training you'll be confident in using the TENS machine and making it a key part of your doula 'bag of tricks'.
Alumni at Doula School
Here’s what Doula School’s students have to say:
I hadn’t used the TENS Machine before working with Stefanie, and wow has it ever made a difference for my doula clients. Labour can be short, it can be long, and I've loved having more options available. Over the short training I learned so much and would definitely recommend this training to any doulas I know.
Doula & Former Student
After taking the TENS workshop with Stefanie I became confident on using it with clients in labour. It has made such a noticeable and significant difference in my clients’ ability to cope through labour. They love it! Stefanie went through the different types of TENS machines and helped me decide which model to use. I am forever grateful for discovering this amazing tool and to Stefanie for really helping me understand when/how/and when NOT to use it. My clients are grateful as well!
Doula & Former Student
Let's take a look at what you'll learn
- What is a TENS Machine
- Purpose of TENS in Labour
- History of TENS Use
- Mechanisms of Pain Relief
- TENS Research Studies
- Advantages of TENS
- Disadvantages of TENS
- Practical use of TENS Machine
Pay in Full
1 PAYMENT OF
- Includes 2.5 DONA Contact Hours
- Virtual classes conducted in live time in an intimate setting
- Assistance ordering a TENS Machine
- Q and A with Stefanie
- Hands on experience using TENS with a partner
- Save $10 when you register in advance
- 3-hour session, live and online